Feb 28, 2012

the power of words

People, humans, we all seem to forget how POWERFUL our words can be. "Stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" I wish that was true but unfortunately it's not. I am an extremely sensitive and sometimes insecure person; hurtful words have a way of taking up a large permanent residence in my heart and not allowing any positive, uplifting, or encouraging words any to get in. I have decided to turn to the Bible to try and use the verses as a way to evict the hurtful words from my heart. I know that I am guilty of not recognizing the power of my words and gossiping or saying hurtful things in the heat of the moment, it is easily done and we are all guilty of it, but there is something to be learned from these verses...even though it is so easy to just merely read these without fully digesting them and much more difficult to implement them into our thoughts and actions. I believe that reading them with repetition with eventually allow them to change our perspective and reaction. Not only how to forgive people who hurt us with their words but to learn how to control our own tongues.

"But when you are praying, first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins, too. " Mark 11:25 


"Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble." Proverbs 21:23


"But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" Matthew 5:44


"Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” - Romans 12:19


"If your enemies are hungry, feed them. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals of shame on their heads.  Don't let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good."-Romans 12:17-21


"If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies. Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace and work to maintain it. The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right, and his ears are open to their prayers. But the Lord turns his face against those who do evil." -1 Peter 3 9-12


"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29


Betrayed To-Do List
1.) Let God Take Revenge
2.) Forgive Betrayer
3.) Pray for them


No comments:

Post a Comment